- This event has passed.
NZ Music Month: North Shore Schools Songwriting Competition 2023
May 1, 2023 @ 8:00 am – May 31, 2023 @ 5:00 pm
Over the years, DEPOT Sound has developed a strong reputation for supporting young local songwriters and bands, through a number of opportunities for youth to access professional recording and mentorship. In keeping with this, we are delighted to announce that we will once again be running the North Shore Schools Songwriting Competition, in collaboration with NZ Music Month 2023!
We are calling all North Shore intermediate and secondary school musicians & bands to enter, to win a chance to get their songs listened to and judged by a panel of industry legends, with the winners professionally produced and recorded by our incredibly talented team at Depot Sound.
This year, NZ Music Month is focusing on ‘Community + Collaboration’, celebrating Aotearoa’s collaborative musical landscape. Through our competition, we commit to encouraging young musicians to explore collaboration with their peers, and grow their skills in songwriting, production, and studio work.
- The Depot Sound North Shore Schools Songwriting Competition is open to current North Shore Intermediate and Secondary School students.
- Submit your original song to the online form between Monday 1 May – Wednesday 31 May.
- Entries will be judged by our experienced panel of producers, session musicians and industry experts.
- The winner of each division (Intermediate and Secondary) will receive two days of studio time and professional mentorship at Depot Sound Recording Studio.
- The runner up of each division will win a single day of recording at Depot Sound Recording Studio.
- Judging will take place in June, with winners notified by email.
Please read the competition Terms & Conditions before uploading your submission using the entry form below.
Terms & Conditions
- The Writers (composers & lyricists) must be:
- Resident in New Zealand or New Zealand citizens.
- At Intermediate or Secondary at a North Shore Local School and be under 20 years of age.
- Attend school at least 16 hours a week.
- The work must be an original popular song. It must NOT be an arrangement or adaptation of a traditional non-copyright work or any other original work.
- Entries – The following will be required:
- Completion of an official entry form.
- An mp3, m4a, WAV or AIFF file uploaded of the work nominated.
- Entries must be received by Depot Sound no later than Wednesday 31st May 2023.
- Only ONE song may be submitted on an official entry form by or on behalf of any one writer and must comply with conditions 1 and 2.
- The exception being a writer in a band may also submit a solo work.
- The song and the recording of the song can be performed and played by anyone as long as it is on a non-professional basis. It is not necessary for the writer(s) to feature on the recording.
- All decisions of the judges will be binding on Depot Sound and the entrants.
- In the event of more than one writer having collaborated in writing a competition winning work, the relevant prize will be allocated equally between the writers.
- Depot Sound shall have the right to interpret the above conditions and to determine all issues arising out of this contest. Any such interpretations and determinations shall be final.
- Unless specifically requested the copies of the entry recordings and lyrics will be retained by Depot Sound.
- The entrant shall grant permission for replication, mechanical reproduction, broadcast, internet streaming and downloading and communication of the recording of the song to the public.
- Depot Sound will have the right to print the name and likeness of any entrant in publicity in respect of the competition and all matter incidental thereto.
- The entrant agrees to be bound by Depot Sound’s entry procedures, rules and regulations established in this entry form. The judges’ decision is final. No correspondence will be entered into.